Mr. DeMuro joined the firm in 1996, after practicing in New Mexico for three years. Mr. DeMuro has devoted his entire 25 years of practice to litigation and trial work. Mr. DeMuro has tried cases, and argued appeals, in state and federal trial and appellate courts, civil and criminal, across the country. Mr. DeMuro also litigates before public securities arbitration panels, most major private arbitration tribunals in the United States and the London Court of International Arbitration.
Mr. DeMuro litigates, and provides litigation advisory services, in: oil and gas, banking, securities, construction, intellectual property, unfair competition/trade secrets, civil rights, employment, serious personal injury cases, and class action cases for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Mr. DeMuro also defends accused citizens in selected criminal cases in state and federal court. Since 2003, Mr. DeMuro has been a member of Criminal Justice Act Panel for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, representing indigent citizens accused of federal crimes.
Since 2010, Mr. DeMuro has served as an Adjunct Settlement Judge for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma in the Court's mandatory settlement conference program.
Mr. DeMuro graduated second in his class from the University Of New Mexico School of Law, where he served as the Notes Editor for the UNM Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and received the Julia Raymond McCulloch Constitutional Law Award, among other honors. Mr. DeMuro graduated from Princeton University, where he played varsity football.
- Successfully defended doctor accused of federal kick-back violations and conspiracy, obtaining dismissal of 30-count indictment.
- Obtained seven-figure judgment, following bench trial, in derivative shareholder suit by minority shareholder for directors' breach of fiduciary duty.
- Obtained multi-million dollar verdict, after state court jury trial, in favor of independent oil and gas producer against operator for grossly negligent drilling operations.
- Obtained defense verdict, after two week federal jury trial, for publically traded energy company in minority shareholder suit involving a cash out merger. Plaintiffs sought $48 million, jury awarded zero. Court to award attorney fees to client.
- Obtained substantial plaintiff's verdict in wrongful arrest case against municipality after state court jury trial, with jury awarding 100% of requested damages
- Successfully defended regional broker-dealer firm against unsuitability and fraud claims by a municipal government in FINRA arbitration proceeding. After two week hearing, claimant's $5 million claims denied and attorney fees awarded in favor of broker-dealer.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment for oil and gas producer following a four week jury trial in gas purchase contract dispute in Oklahoma state court. Fees awarded to client. Obtained multi-million dollar settlement in related case after the verdict.
- Obtained substantial plaintiff's jury verdict in federal premises liability case against national retailer, after 10th Circuit revered and ordered second trial, with jury awarding 150% of requested damages.
- Co-lead counsel in federal civil rights class action case against Oklahoma's Department of Human Services, achieving landmark reform of Oklahoma's child welfare agency.
- Secured client's release from prison, and vacated convictions, for wrongfully convicted citizen arising from police corruption scandal in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended numerous targets before Oklahoma's Multicounty Grand Jury, avoiding charges.
- Represented accused citizens in jury trials and federal sentencing for variety of alleged crimes, including murder, felony assault, tax evasion, weapons charges, fraud, drug cases and others.
- Obtained court-ordered injunctive relief in several broker transition cases, leading to favorable settlements.
- Obtained seven-figure award from FINRA arbitration panel on behalf of regional retail brokerage firm, including punitive damages, against Wall Street brokerage firm for unfair competition and broker recruitment.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for senior-living community developer, following five week jury trial in San Diego, California, involving water-infiltration in high-rise residential building.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for developer against general contractor, subcontractors and professionals for multiple construction defects in residential retirement community in Orange County, California.
- Co-lead counsel in action obtaining multi-million dollar settlement for software developer in trademark and copyright infringement action in federal court against national flight simulation firm.
- Obtained substantial judgment, following state jury trial, in trade secrets action between competing regional petrochemical lubricant distributors. Fees awarded to client.
- In bad faith insurance case, obtained multi-million dollar settlement for oil and gas producer against insurer that refused to cover losses arising from a sub-surface blow out of gas well in Cameron Parish, Louisiana.
- Obtained multi-million judgment for internet-based affinity banking company for breach of development contract following arbitration hearing and award against national Washington, D.C.-based lobbying group.
- Achieved settlement against Oklahoma DHS in "Precious Doe" case resulting in Oklahoma's Department of Corrections and DHS adopting new policies for placement of babies born to incarcerated mothers.
- Obtained injunctive order freezing assets of executive director of non-profit foundation accused of embezzling foundation funds. Led to seven-figure summary judgment on behalf of foundation.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for grievously injured electrical burn victim against utility company.
- Obtained substantial settlement for female financial advisor for alleged gender discrimination against a Wall Street financial services firm, after defeating summary judgment, with Court finding evidence of gender-based disparate treatment in firm's reaction to financial advisor's trading patterns.